Thursday, August 6, 2009

Roots of the tree

As most of you know, I sometimes play around with genealogy. The program I use to record my findings is called Family Tree Maker. It is Windows-based only. There are many features that make it easy for you to trace and record family members, as well as to produce charts, media displays, and books. The latest edition is on sale for $20 plus shipping. If this is something you think you might be interested in, this is an inexpensive way to test the waters. To make it really fun, you would need to subscribe to some databases (I think at about $140 per year), which will give you access to such resources as census records, newspapers, military records, marriage and death records, and more. That, however, is not absolutely necessary. There are plenty of free resources to keep you busy for quite a while. I also think you may have trial access to the databases I use if you buy the program.

One of the advantages you would have if you do decide to do this is that I would give you all the work I have done so far, which includes information on about 1,000 names. (Unfortunately, most of these are not on the Duke side, but oh well.) Even better, you would have me as a consultant to help you learn the software and how to research the databases effectively. I would gain a research partner to make my work easier. Everyone is a winner.

Give it a try if you think this might be something you are interested in. The most you can lose is twenty-five bucks. Don't dawdle, though, since the price is going to go up after it is published later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment