Thursday, November 22, 2012

'Tis the season to be fruity

In an odd twist of circumstances, Mom asked me for a recipe. Actually, it was her recipe that she couldn't find.

Last Christmas, Antonia and I baked fruitcakes from her handwritten card and sent one to her. She gave us very high praise for the result. I don't think ours were any better than hers, but maybe she just liked the fact that someone else was doing the baking. Honestly, we didn't care for it much at first, but I think that was because we hadn't let it age long enough. Later in the season, Antonia and I both agreed it tasted better. Maybe even good.

Antonia found the hand-written recipe, but I got curious about its origin. Since it had some product names in it, it wasn't too hard to find on the web. It looks like it came from a Gold Medal Flour recipe, calling itself Wesson Fruitcake. The copy I found online has a torn and stained image of what someone's grandmother used. You can use that one, or go with the improved version below from Grandma Duke.

You know which one I would recommend.



2 comments:

  1. I posted this right before dinner. I ate and started to bake more pie for Thanksgiving because Antonia won't be satisfied with just one. I was listening to Tom Waits's album Foreign Affairs when the song "Medley: Jack & Neal / California Here I Come" came around. I can't quote the whole song because it is vulgar and Mom might be reading this, but it does include the lines:

    "And while the nurse had spilled the Maneshewitz all up and down her dress
    And then she lit the map on fire Neal just had to guess
    Should we try and find a bootleg route or a filling station open"

    You just can't get wine like that anywhere, you know.

    ReplyDelete