Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Sour Cream Cookies

At my surprise party last week, I was reminded of the cookies that Mom usually baked around Christmas time. They are soft  and yellow-white with a sugary icing and sprinkles. Having only one at a time is not an option. Jenny sent me the recipe she uses, which I hope to use when we go stay at the Evermore Barn.
Sour Cream Cookies

2 C. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. shortening (I use room-temperature butter)
3/4 C. sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 C. sour cream

I got my copy of the recipe over the phone from Mom. I only have the ingredient list, not the instructions, but I just make it as I would any other cookie recipe. Old school recipes always want you to sift the flour, but I never do and they turn out fine because we're living in the Modern Age of Finely Ground Flour.

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. (Truth be told, I don't do this either, but it's a good idea so that everything is evenly distributed.) Cream together shortening/butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in half of the sour cream, then half of the flour mixture, repeat. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Jody said that she icings them while they are warm, but I always wait until they're cool.
Jody responded, "I never sift the dry ingredients, just mix them with a fork.  I also never use sour cream in the sour cream cookies.  I add about 1 tsp of vinegar to 1/2 cup evaporated milk and let it sit a few minutes before adding it."

Jenny added, "I use sour cream if I have it and sub if I don't, but I don't measure the vinegar and use whatever milk I have and sometimes a combo of nonfat with a shot of half & half."

If there are other variations out there, let me know. I want them to be perfect, just like Mom's.

4 comments:

  1. I have sour cream and shortening so I am going to follow the orignial recipe. What kind of icing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question, Janet. I was wondering the same thing. I will have to let Jenny or Jody answer it. I think it is just a sugar frosting, usually with sprinkles.

    By the way, Darien got a kitchen caddy for the espresso machine (https://www.freehandycaddy.com/flare/next?rtag=buyhandycaddy&). I think you may have been the original inspiration for it. We instantly have a bigger kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My version is just powdered sugar with a very small amount of milk. Use milk sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Jody just powdered sugar and milk, that sounds too easy and I know I would mess it up, I need cups and measuring spoons..

    Lucky for Darien I love my Handy Caddy and wish I would have invented it!

    ReplyDelete