Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Kolache vs. Potica (a northern region dispatch)

Nothing says Christmastime like baked goods, and for Duke-Dippers, the baked good that says it best is kolache. The kitchens at my work are brimming with goodies, and on today's early morning reconnaissance I came face to face with what I consider the holy grail.

That's right kolache! Except, wait a minute, it's not kolache. The package says "potica." A quick search reveals that potica is the common Slovenian name and kolache is more of a catch-all term for cakes. Have Duke-Dippers been eating potica all these years (gasp!)? Probably, but who cares!

In my official role as investigator I took a slice of the kitchen potica back to my desk... uh, I mean back to my lab for analysis. There were minor differences in what we grew up with -- a little too much nutmeg and walnuts that were chopped into almost a paste instead of being left a little chunky, but all in all it was surprisingly close to the real thing.

Northern Minnesota residents seem to be particularly fond of the cake. And now that I know this, another conundrum has been cleared up for me. About a year ago, I started hearing people talk about kolache (pronounced: "ko-LATCH-ee"). What the "you betch-ya" state refers to as kolache is actually more of a breakfast roll with a sweet filling. So if you find yourself here for a visit, now you'll know what to order and not be disappointed.

In the case of kolache vs. poticia, I say let them live in harmony. Eat them both.

Na zdraví (cheers)!

7 comments:

  1. You mean you can buy this stuff? In a store? In plastic packaging? Something doesn't sound right.

    I looked for a potica recipe in Cook's Illustrated. I got the response back: "No Results Found for "Potica" Did you mean: exotica?" Sounds right.

    I tried a search on Google for potica, which only turned up 1,080 results. That is minuscule for Google. It looks like there is an alternative spelling, povitica, which turns up over 14,000 hits in Google. Another term for what appears to be the same dish is gubana -- over 19,000 Google hits. Kolache itself has more than 100,000.

    I saw some references to potica/povitica/gubana that refers to it as a Croatian dish.

    This may just be a lot of regionalism going on. I think the only way to clear this up is for me to come visit you in your lab. There is eating to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I am really interested in is the "crust"...in the photo it looks like wheat wrap.

    Do you all Dukes make this the same or is it like "Duke Dip", variations on a theme?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are slight variations. There was one disastrous year in which one person who will remain unnamed decided that whole wheat would make a good dough. That one has never been attempted again. If everyone will send me their recipe, I will gather them together and post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for something else, but I found you blog. I'm coming from Slovenija (Slovenia) and if you are really interested in recipe for POTICA, I can translate it and send it to you.
    Potica is a national dish, usually eaten for Easter or Christmas.
    Kolacki (Kolač) is a sweet "cake", or some backed stuff with filling (cottage chees, chocolate, nuts or something else).
    Here is Slovenian recipe site: www.kulinarika.net, it's in Slovenian language, but on forum, you will find people and answers in English.
    (http://www.kulinarika.net/recepti/1176/sladice/orehova-potica/)

    Cheers -> Na zdravje!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, Grega. I was able to use Google to translate the site for me. The potica looks delicious, but very fattening! I will have to try it some day.

    Na zdravje!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note from December 2012: Here is the latest version of the recipe being used by one branch of the family. Thanks to Jennifer for being our archivist. I'm looking for other family versions if you have them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Croatia we call it Povitica. Same delicious stuff, different name. By any name, it's great and you can find it online nowadays! If you can't, try doing a search on kolache. From the store's website t appears to be the same thing (hopefully. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete