Friday, October 23, 2009

Norwalk skyline

This is your chance to have your photography immortalized in Wikipedia. The entry for Norwalk needs an image of the its "skyline," such as it is. It has to be a picture you took yourself, or have clear copyright to. I think the Norwalk Square sign would make a most excellent image. Someone out there must have a photo of it you took yourself. (Is it still there?) If you do have one, you have to fill out a form and submit it with your Wikipedia account, which is very easy to create. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, send me the image and I will post it if you swear on a Bible it is your picture.

I keep an eye on a number of Wikipedia pages so I can add information and protect them from vandals. Among the pages I'm watching are ones for Norwalk, Richmond, Chesterfield, Uniontown, New Salem, Bon Air, VCU, and accordions. It is easy enough to watch a page for changes if you have an account, and is kind of fun if you aren't obsessive.

(If you are curious why I am watching the page for accordions, go take a look at the images and you will see readily enough. It is an image that just appeared one day -- no family member or friend is the culprit. I watch the page to make sure it never goes away. If it does, I can restore it in one click.)

5 comments:

  1. I don't like the new sign it says "Norwalk Town Square" but I will be happy to take a photo for Wikipedia...How about Front Street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Front Street would be cool. But you have to make it look like a skyline, since that is what the category is. We are competing with New York here, for God's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have got to be kidding! A Norwalk skyline...let me get out and see what I come up with. Too bad the Coast Grain Silo isn't around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the silo would have complemented things nicely. We will have to do with the soaring towers of Front Street, built of gleaming steel and glimmering glass. Ah, the skyline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a photo of the sign this morning while getting donuts for John..I will send it too you as an attachment at your e mail..Maybe today I will get over to Front Street and check it out. The Bank of America is now a record store!

    ReplyDelete