Friday, October 2, 2009

Google Photos Blog: Announcing Picasa 3.5, now with name tags, better geotagging and more

I've been playing with the new Picasa 3.5. There are a number of nice features in this edition. The one I like most so far is face identification. The Web version has had it for a while, but the disk application is much slicker. It is also very addictive, as Darien will attest. I've spent hours going through my library, tagging faces. The software does some automatic matching, which can be uncanny in its accuracy, when it is not being funny in its inaccuracy. Evidently Gabriel really does take after Darien.

One unexpected use I will be making of Picasa is help in working with genealogy photos. I can now easily match names to faces, especially in a photo with a number of people. You can see some samples in one of my Picasa Web folders.


Genealogy: Duke

This also points out that you can synchronize your computer and your Web albums, so the work you do in the one can be carried over to the other.

The other big feature in this version is enhancements made to geotagging. I haven't used it much yet, but it promises to make geotagging much faster, since you don' have to open Google Earth to use it. You can read more about these and other featurs on the Google Photos Blog. Now go play.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. John this was so wonderful to look at. I think you're very lucky to have so many photo's. I have only a very few. I think my mom has some post card photo's, why was that popular? Was it cheaper to mail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post cards just seemed to be a thing at the time -- a novelty. Kodak marketed self-created postcards (called "Real Photos") early in the 20th century -- take a look at http://www.metropostcard.com/history1898-1913p1.html.

    I don't think many people in our families had their own cameras at the time (which is why we don't have a lot of family photos from that era), so they would pay to have the same thing done by some studio to commemorate a special event. I have one that has stamped on it:

    "Get a beautiful Ivonette Portrait in natural life colors 6 by 8 Frame and Portrait complete $1.98. Mail us your favorite photos today. Absolute satisfaction guaranteed. Excello Art Studios, 65 Mary St., Binghamton, N.Y."

    ReplyDelete