Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hot Stuff!

When John and I were in Harrisonburg today visiting Peter, we went out for Ethiopian food at the Blue Nile. The decor there was exceptionally nice, and they have a very attractive performance venue in the downstairs bar. The food was as delicious at the Blue Nile as it always is at one of our favorite Richmond restaurants, The Nile, where we often eat before choir practice.

Peter and I loved the berbere sauce, and I told him that my cousin Leslee had recently posted a recipe for it. Her adopted Ethiopian children love this sauce--on everything! Pete has requested some of this when I make it--I think I'll make the dry version as it will store longer. I have a feeling that Pete and I will enjoy it on everything too!

This picture is of Celeste and Elyse, who visited in August--we went to DC for the day and they sampled Ethipian food for the first time, at the wonderful Etete, which has recently expanded.

BERBERE (pronounced bear-BEAR-eh)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 to 6 tablespoons of a combination of ground cayenne pepper (red pepper, dried chile peppers, or red pepper flakes) and paprika
1 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon ginger, fresh (peeled and grated) or dried (ground) use dried ground ginger if making dry berberé
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or shallots, omit if making dry berberé (optional)
1 teaspoon minced garlic, omit or use dried garlic if making dry berberé (optional)
1/4 cup oil, water, or red wine (omit if making dry berberé)

1 comment:

  1. Any recommendation's for Ethiopian Food closer to LA? The berbere sounds like my type of sauce..

    ReplyDelete