Friday, May 1, 2009

On being a voyeur

Darien gave me a book for Christmas, Voyeurs by Dennis Bartel, a signed copy via Jenny. Some of you will recognize the name from KUSC, the classical station in L.A. where Dennis DJs. He also grew up in Norwalk and attended Norwalk High with other Dukes and Sanchezes. I remember listening to Dennis on the radio when I lived in L.A. He eventually left for the east coast, but returned a few years ago and is again hosting a program at KUSC. I still am a fan through the magic of the Internet, KUSC being one of the stations I often listen to. (I love hearing about rush hour and smog alerts.)

I was surprised at how good Voyeurs is. It is a collection of short stories. They are well-crafted, literate, interesting, amusing. The reason I am bringing it up here is that one of the fun things about the book is how Norwalk and Southern California in general form a subtle background to many of the stories. You will read about someone driving down the 605, or growing up around dairy farms. Some of the references are subtle and will likely be missed by those who didn't grow up there.

I would recommend you pick up a copy at the library, but unfortunately it has not been widely collected. You will have better luck buying it online at Amazon or a similar site. Used copies can be had cheaply. When you are finished reading it, pass it on to another Norwalkian.

No comments:

Post a Comment